After her alleged "emotional crisis" in a hospital in Los Angeles, Selena Gomez is reportedly receiving a dialectical behavioral therapy. As you become more familiar with your mental health, learn more about DBT.
Selena Gomez, 26, is receiving treatment at a psychiatric center on the east coast after an alleged "crisis" at the Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. The singer of "Wolves" was hospitalized for a low white blood cell count when she supposedly "got scared" in what the sources have called "an emotional collapse". As part of his path to wellness, he seems to be receiving a therapy of dialectical behavior. Exactly what is DBT?
1. It is a method of therapy that tries to stop you from thinking badly.. DBT is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy that, according to WebMD, gets tired of "identifying and changing negative thought patterns", while promoting positive changes in behavior. The term "dialectic" is due to the idea of joining two opposites in therapy, acceptance and change, gives better results.
2. It was originally created in the 1980s.. A relatively young therapy, DBT was developed in the late 1980s by Marsha M. Linehan, a researcher in psychology at the University of Washington, as an intervention method for suicidal women (and to treat those who were suicidal chronically) suicidal. Previous therapy methods were so focused on changing cognitions and behaviors that many patients felt criticized, misunderstood and invalidated and, therefore, abandoned the treatment altogether, "according to the article by Alexander L. Chapman, PhD at NCBI . By focusing on acceptance and change, DBT sees better results than just telling someone to change.
3. It is used to treat complex mental health problems. Although DBT is widely used to treat people with borderline personality disorder, treatment is used to treat a wide range of mental health problems, such as depression and binge eating disorders. It is also used to help people with mental health problems that threaten a person's security, relationships, work and emotional self.
4. DBT has many parts. Hear that Selena is in a facility and is "under treatment", which could invoke horrible (and inaccurate) images directly from American Horror Story: Asylum. Instead, it is likely that Selena will undergo the following: individual therapy, group therapy and a therapist consultation team.
DBT also has five treatment functions: Improve capabilities, which involves the development of skills that help someone to regulate their emotions, to navigate effectively the interpersonal situations (how to interact with others) and to tolerate the anguish; Generalization capabilities, who takes these skills learned in therapy and applies them to the real world; Improve motivation and reduce dysfunction, which includes weekly monitoring forms ("journal cards"); Improve and maintain the capabilities of the therapist., also known as going to therapy; and finally, Structuring the environment, which means avoiding social circles that promote self-harm.
5. This is not the first time Selena has submitted to this.. Selena has "received" DBT in the past, according to TMZ. This means that in the past, she has undergone therapy to help navigate negative thoughts. Here I hope Selena feels better, soon. Life is hard and, sometimes, it only comes to you.