Lena Dunham's feminist trend site, the Lenny Letter, is closing.
The website of the co-creator of "Girls" of HBO, which criticized the emails twice a week with articles on women's issues, will cease operations on Friday, according to The Post.
A representative of Dunham did not respond to requests for comment.
Rumors about Lenny's closure began to emerge earlier this week when editors notified independent writers that they would receive "death fees" or compensation for written works that had not been published.
The newsletter had always struggled for advertising support, according to industry sources, and a series of controversies has not helped. Last November, Dunham was furious when she defended Murray Miller, former writer of "Girls", after an actress accused him of sexually assaulting her in 2012.
The Lenny Letter readership has plummeted since July 2017, the sources said, when it supposedly had 500,000 subscribers, almost half of them still opened their newsletters.
Launched in 2015, Lenny Letter was a creation of Dunham and Jenni Konner, his co-creator for the series "Girls". In the beginning, it generated enthusiasm with articles written by stars such as Jennifer Lawrence, who wrote about the gender pay gap in Hollywood, and Alicia Keys, who spoke about her decision to start using little or no makeup.
Months after its launch, Dunham and Konner signed an agreement with Hearst Digital Media to handle the advertising sales of the newsletter. At that time, sources at Hearst had expressed frustration at their inability to earn significant income.
Late last year, rival publisher Condé Nast pulled Lenny out of Hearst to sell ads and potentially distribute content on its various websites. It was said that this agreement would come into force in 2018.
Condé declined to comment.