Megyn Kelly's lawyer asks the NBCU CEO to participate in the exit negotiations – Variety

adminOctober 31, 2018




The exit talks between Megyn Kelly and NBC News appear to have become more intense, and the presenter's attorney suggested Wednesday that NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke will participate.

"Despite my efforts to handle this process confidentially, NBC News is allowing the media to come forward with completely false and irresponsible reports that disparage Megyn by wrongly claiming that she once asked for more money than her contract requires," he said. Bryan Freedman, a lawyer from California. who represents Kelly while she and NBC establish a separation after the cancellation of their morning show, "Megyn Kelly Today". The lawyer added: "If NBC News is not the source, do they have the responsibility as a news division to correct these false claims, or are they trying in some way to use these fabrications to gain a fictitious advantage in the discussions we are having?" If Andy Lack has lost control, my hope would be that Steve Burke can intervene and not allow blatant lies about our discussions to remain uncorrected. "

A report appeared on The Daily Mail on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources, suggesting that Kelly would seek a bonus in addition to the money he believes he owes through his three-year agreement with NBCUniversal. Andy Lack is the president of NBC News.

"Unlike Mr. Freedman, who has repeatedly commented to the media during the negotiations, we respect the confidentiality of the process and will not have comments until it reaches its conclusion," NBC News said in a statement.

The two sides are said to disagree on the structure of non-disclosure and non-compete stipulations that could restrict Kelly after she leaves, according to a person familiar with the matter.

These types of discussions are common in separation negotiations. The key points in the current conversations, which remain fluid, relate to the amount of time that Kelly could not work elsewhere, and what she could or could not say about her future employer, as well as what NBC might be . able to say about it.

NBC canceled Kelly's morning show late last week following a broadcast on October 23 during which the presenter led a discussion about Halloween costumes and the black face that triggered the immediate offensive. She apologized quickly in her follow-up. But the discussion also attracted criticism from colleagues at NBC News, including Al Roker and Craig Melvin.

The executives of NBC News had been in loose conversations with the presenter about finding a new role that would involve her in hard news instead of the lighter food of her morning show, but those conversations were derailed.

In two tweets published on Wednesday, Kelly protested the treatment of her family by The Daily Mail, noting that store photographers would not comply with their wishes not to capture and transmit images of their children. Other paparazzi camped outside her house heard her, she said.



Source link

Categories