However, another division of Fleetwood Mac has become increasingly acidic, and this time Lindsey Buckingham is the strange man.
Buckingham, 69, sued his longtime bandmates (Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood) in the Superior Court of Los Angeles on Tuesday, after an announcement earlier this year that he had been removed from Fleetwood Mac 2018 The North America tour of 2019, which began this month and is scheduled for April.
In the presentation, Buckingham said that "not a single member of the band" had called to tell him why he would not be included in the line-up despite what he said was an agreement with concert promoter Live Nation to play 60 shows in two years. , with each member earning between $ 12 million and $ 14 million. Buckingham is accusing gang members of breach of fiduciary duty, breach of verbal contract and international interference with possible economic advantage, according to court documents, and is seeking compensatory damages.
"Last January, Fleetwood Mac made the decision to continue the tour without me," Buckingham said in a statement. "I feel deeply surprised and sad, as this decision ends with the beautiful legacy of 43 years we built together."
He added: "In the last eight months, our many efforts to reach an agreement have unfortunately been elusive, I look forward to the closure, and I will always be proud of everything we have created and what that legacy represents."
A representative of Fleetwood Mac said the band had not seen the lawsuit and questioned Buckingham's "real motivations" by "first attending the press with a legal complaint to the parties in dispute." (The news of the lawsuit was informed for the first time by We weekly)
On Wednesday, Rolling Stone published an interview with Buckingham detailing his firing for the first time. The singer and guitarist, who joined Fleetwood Mac in 1975 and left in 1987 to return a decade later, said he was watching the Grammy Awards at his home in January when he received a call from the band's manager, Irving Azoff. Buckingham said he was told, "Stevie never wants to be on stage with you again" and that Nicks had given the rest of the group an ultimatum: Buckingham had to leave or she would.
Buckingham said in court documents that he later "offered to fly to Maui to meet with Nicks and Fleetwood," but was "rejected by both."
The lawsuit says: "While Buckingham was trying to keep the band together, the other members, secretly and unceremoniously, went ahead without him, including hiring players hired to replace Buckingham's iconic vocals and guitar parts." (Fleetwood Mac replaced Buckingham with Mike Campbell of Tom Heartty Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House.)
Nicks, who was sadly romantically involved with Buckingham in and around the band's peak in the 1970s, has spoken extensively over the years about the couple's personal and creative relationship.
"Fleetwood Mac is a team", she he told The New York Times in 2016, "and when you're on a team, everyone has the same vote, except on this particular team, Lindsey has a little more vote than anybody else." She added: "We discussed all the time, but we always did."
Buckingham said in his lawsuit that he had initially asked Fleetwood Mac to delay his tour by three months in order to release a solo album, but he met with resistance and decided to delay its release. (That album, tentatively titled "Blue Light," will be released next year, he told Rolling Stone.) He is currently on a solo tour behind the best-hits collection, "Solo Anthology: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham." .
In a February email to his bandmates, which he included in the lawsuit, Buckingham wrote: "If there is a way to fix this, I think we should try. I love you all without caring about anything.