Dolce & Gabbana Shanghai Show canceled, Chinese celebrities flee from Furor – WWD

adminNovember 21, 2018





CARRY OFF – A one-hour multimillion-dollar show scheduled here by Dolce & Gabbana was abruptly canceled on the day after insults about China were published from the Instagram account of designer Stefano Gabbana, which led to the country's biggest names in fashion and entertainment. To attend the show en masse. The designer and the brand published on Wednesday afternoon, just a few hours before the planned event, saying that the account had been hacked.

In the screenshots published by Diet Prada, the verified Stefano Gabbana account is seen sending messages that say: "From now on, in all the interviews. [sp] what will I do international I will say that the country of [series of poop emojis] is China "and" China Ignorant Dirty Smelling Mafia ", among other insults.

The VIP guest list is expected to attend at 9 p.m. #DGGreatShow began to fall apart as messages circulated on social networks. Actress Zhang Ziyi said she would not attend, posting on her official Weibo account that "as of today, Ms. Zhang and her team will not buy or use any D & G products."

Singer Wang Junkai along with actors Li Bingbing, Chen Kun, Dilraba and the girl band Rocket Girls 101 also joined in protest. Chinese actor and singer Huang Xiaoming wrote in his official Weibo account, "the homeland is the first."

RELATED HISTORY: Celebs and Chinese models flee from Furor after Dolce & Gabbana Shanghai Show is canceled

China Bentley model agency issued an official statement to say that 24 of its models who planned to participate in the show were boycotting the event. Multiple models of the Chinese heritage published "I do not" at the top of their casting photos, including Lynden Ly, who said on Weibo that he and others in the backstage had been rehearsing all night. He added that while it was the only program he had scheduled to walk this month, he would refuse to do the program.

Screenshot of Lynden Ly Weibo account.

Screenshot of Lynden Ly Weibo account.

The top 10 search terms that are currently on Weibo have to do with the Dolce and Gabbana controversy.

Both the brand and Gabbana apologized and claimed that the messages come from piracy.

Screenshot

Screenshot
Screenshot

"My Instagram account has been hacked, my legal office is working on this, I love China and Chinese culture, I'm very sorry for what happened," Gabbana wrote on his personal page.

The fashion house also posted on social media saying: "Our Instagram account has been hacked, so is Stefano Gabbana's account, our law office is urgently investigating, we regret any inconvenience caused by these unauthorized publications. more than respect for China and the people of China. "

The controversy began three days before, when the brand began to publish series of three videos entitled "eat with chopsticks" on their social media pages. The videos show an Asian model who is told, in Mandarin, how to eat pizza, cannoli and spaghetti with a male voice over.

The videos rubbed people wrong in China, and many in the country went to social networks to express what they described as sexist and racist nuances. The video shows an Asian model trying to eat the cannoli, while the voice-over says "Is it too big for you?" She also has the model's attempt to eat the dishes with chopsticks. In addition, the use of an outdated configuration, similar to a market stall, with a flashlight and awning, also led many Chinese netizens to question whether the brand was only interested in portraying a backward image of the country, something that has been a point of containment before.

The series of videos has remained on the brand's Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, although it no longer appears on the brand's official account on the Chinese social networking platform, Weibo. Screenshots of the original Weibo publication have been widely shared.

The insults of the Gabbana account were responses to criticism about the promotional videos. The messages posted indicated that the designer stayed with the videos and that it was the local team in China that eliminated the ads, something he did not approve, before launching into a tirade against China.

It is known that the designer often participates in social networks with followers for themes such as his vocal support to dress the First Lady Melania Trump of the United States to insults about the singer Selena Gomez.

This is not the first time that Dolce & Gabbana is in hot water in the country as part of its #DGLovesChina marketing campaign. In April of last year, Chinese social networks went on in response to an advertising campaign by Dolce & Gabbana filmed in Beijing. Filming presented old neighborhoods in the city instead of the modern urban landscape, as the brand had previously done in other Asian cities. At that time, the images of this Beijing advertising campaign were also removed from the official Dolibo & Gabbana account on Weibo.

China is a key market for the luxury brand. According to a report published by McKinsey last year, by 2025, 7.6 million Chinese households will represent 1 trillion renminbi in global luxury sales.



Source link

Categories