Detective in the case of Harvey Weinstein allegedly urged the accuser to remove cell phone information

adminOctober 17, 2018




NEW YORK – Prosecutors in New York say that the former detective of the main police in the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault investigation He urged one of Weinstein's accusers to remove the information from his phone before handing it over to the investigators. Prosecutors say the woman did not remove any information, which was personal and unrelated to the investigation.

The Manhattan district attorney's office detailed the alleged misconduct in a letter to Weinstein's lawyer that was made public on Wednesday. The new allegations against Detective Nicholas DiGaudio involve an unidentified woman who says Weinstein raped her in her Manhattan hotel room in 2013.

DiGaudio was removed from Weinstein's case last week after evidence emerged that he instructed a witness to shut up when she raised doubts about a sexual assault claim against the dishonored movie mogul by another accuser, Lucia. Evans. That revelation led prosecutors to withdraw a charge related to that accusation.

There was no immediate response from the DiGaudio union.

In an exhibition published in The New Yorker last year, Evans accused Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex when they were alone in her office in 2004 to talk about her incipient career as an actress. At the time, Evans was a 21-year-old college student. She said that she had first met Weinstein at a restaurant in Manhattan earlier in the summer.

Prosecutors said in an unsealed letter last week that they learned weeks ago that a friend who was with Evans the night she met with Weinstein had told the police detective a contradictory report of what had happened.

Prosecutors said the detective did not share that information with prosecutors and urged the witness not to reveal details, saying "less is more."

In a statement last week, an attorney for Evans said her client has always maintained that Weinstein had sexually assaulted her and accused the district attorney's office of mishandling the case. In a statement issued to New York CBS last week, the New York Police Department said it was "completely confident in the general case that it had pursued against Mr. Weinstein."

The assistant district attorney, Joan Illuzzi-Orbon, told a judge on Thursday that prosecutors would not oppose the dismissal of the charge in the case involving Evans, CBS New York reported. She insisted that the rest of the case, involving the other two accusers, was strong. Weinstein, who has denied all allegations of sexual intercourse without consent, is still facing charges for the alleged 2013 rape and accusations that he engaged in a forced sex act against another woman in 2006.

"In short, your honor, we are moving at full steam," he said.

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. This material can not be published, disseminated, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.



Source link

Categories