David Arquette is in the hospital and is recovering from the injuries he suffered in a "wrestling death match".
the Shout The actor, 47, took part in a fight against Nick Gage on Friday. He released a statement on Twitter on Monday that addressed his injuries to the game after fans circulated photos and videos of his bloody face on the Internet.
Receive push notifications with news, features and more.
You will get the latest updates on this topic in your browser notifications.
"As some of you may have seen, last week I was injured in a wrestling death match," Arquette wrote. "I wanted to make sure I tackled the photos and videos that came out of the event, since this is not the kind of fight you see on television."
The father of two continued: "I knew he was violent and potentially bloody, but I really did not know how much he was involved in. However, I take responsibility for putting myself in that situation."
"For the last six months I have been training and competing in independent parties throughout the country, since the fight is one of my passions," he shared. "I want to say again that this is not a traditional fight, and I have the greatest respect for that sport."
Arquette added that he had no intention of training for another match, and wrote: "I also want to apologize to the world of professional wrestling for any negative attention that this may have generated over the weekend, and I have no plans to participate in a match. well again. "
"I want to thank all of my fans, friends and family for their love and support over the last few days, I am looking forward to going back into the ring, in very different circumstances, in the near future," he wrote. "However, my priority and full-time dedication will always be to act and produce, and I hope to share some of my new projects in 2019. With love, David Arquette."
RELATED VIDEO: Rosanna Arquette reveals the advice she would give to her youngest self at the vigil of the Me Too movement
PEOPLE is at Arquette's disposal for comments.
After the match, he tweeted: "It turns out that the Death Matches are not my thing."
During the weekend, the Never been Kissed The actor shared a photo of scratches on one of his tattoos.
"I'm all stitched together." Thanks to all the fans for love, "he wrote in the legend," I'm sorry, I made Miss Elisabeth cry. "
Her sister, Rosanna Arquette, commented on the writing of the photo: "You're scaring me, Davey … bloody fights are not fun." I'm happy you're doing well, go play James Bond with those abs. I love you."
RELATED: Former Courteney Cox and David Arquette gather for an unusual family photo with their teenage daughter Coco
He added in a separate comment, "Who are these tattoos?"
The actor's wife, Christina McLarty, told The Blast in a video that her husband "would be fine."
"It's okay, thanks," she said. "After the fight fight, it looked good, and then [his neck] It was irritating him. "I do not know, I did not see everything happen."
McLarty added that the actor will leave the hospital in time for Thanksgiving.
Arquette and McLarty share their 4-year-old son, Charlie West. He also has a 14-year-old daughter, Coco, with his ex-wife Courteney Cox.