Paul Drinkwater / NBCUniversal
Is this real life? Is this just fantasy?
One year after a certain solemn solemn understanding held court on what is generally considered the most generous night in the distinction season, merriment was left in print and presided over by the employees. Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg On Sunday, the 2019 Golden Globes was extra cozy.
It turns out that all the good vibes gave to what turned out to be a needy, soft landing for all the award-winning seasonal screaming boom cases, as it seems that Glober is no longer trying to be harrowing at the subsequent Oscar night's glory. Instead, they muddled the water quite, honored a movie that didn't even get good reviews but which has a best ensemble nomination at the SAG Awards, so everything is possible – with the greatest prize.
1. Another star is born: It is ironic that the famous Hollywood story did not register with Hollywood Foreign Press. We're not really far from "Grunt" now. In fact, "Shallow" is where we are, with Best Original Song as the only winner of the night A star is born.
No one expected a clean sweep, in itself, not with Alfonso Cuarón Again considered a lock to look for Rome. And in some way the wind didn't blow anything for me, but it was a real shock to hear Bohemian Rhapsody called Best Motion Picture, Drama, last night instead of … some of the other movies. But especially A star is bornThat went 1-for-5.
It is difficult to imagine the Academy doubling in this best-picture choice, however Rami Malek, whose performance as the late, big and enigmatic Freddie Mercury Was deservedly named for high praise in every middling review of the movie, this particular got much closer to winning an Oscar.
2. The Dark Arts: God has received his participation thanks to awards ceremonies over the years, but at least to the Oscar, Steven Spielbergis far ahead in the mention. Probably brand new to the list, but – and we really should start counting – is Satan, who Christian Bale Thank you very much for the inspiration behind his performance as a former US Vice President Dick Cheney in vice. The Welsh actor again rendered unrecognizable and, not surprisingly, passed away with the Globe for best leading actor in a movie, comedy or musical.
Director Adam McKay said: "I have to find someone who can be completely charisma-free and disguised by all" … Thanks for all the competition, I will bend the market on charisma-free a-hole "promised Bale, looks like he is again." What do you think, Mitch McConnell next? It can be good, right? "
He also began his speech by jocularly announcing: "What a bunch of lucky bugs we are, to make a life out of doing something we love," and referred to his children as "banana and burrito", so … vi "Are not sure how to get to the top, he should win Oscar.
The same goes for the winner of leading actress in a comedy / musical, venerable British thespian Olivia Colman (as we will see more on Emmys and Globes, because she is the new Queen Elizabeth II in.) Kronen), which referred to co-stars Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz as "my bitches" in a nod to their conniving-to-the-core grades in favorite to Colman's Queen Anne.
3. You kill it, Eva: Sandra Oh didn't have to celebrate any pep when the second half of the show was going on. The former Grey's Anatomy star and 2019 co-host won for best leading actress in a television drama for her layered depiction of an MI-5 security operation that ends up succeeding and get to know the female killer she tracks in BBC America's gripping but sometimes a bit hilarious Killing Eve.
On top of the evening, Oh land had one of the best monologues jokes, a wordless imitation of an unimpressed Asian mom who responded to the success of Crazy Rich Asians. Oh's mother and her dear father were all smiling, but when they saw their daughter, the story made it the first Asian actress to win a Globe for leading actresses in a drama series.
4. Strong difference: Almost six years after the red wedding decimated House Stark, Richard Madden had a much better night at Golden Globes, who won best leading actor in a drama series for his dreamy but excited, tight and exciting show in the BBC's mega hit Bodyguardwho came to the US via Netflix.
"Thank you very much. I didn't see this at all," said the Scottish actor humbly, really looking surprised. He capped his list of "most importantly, my friends and my family, and mom and dad flying all the way from Scotland, wouldn't be here without you."
And then Madden houses his flag in triumph.
5. Method that works: Perhaps the edginess of the work on all other performances in the category interrupted, saw the old school's humor off Kominsky method won for Best Comedy Series. Then again, the HFPA also loves some of them Michael Douglas. His victory for leading actor in a comedy series was his fourth Globe, including a Cecil B. DeMille Life Achievement Prize in 2004.
no matter how much The good place or Barry may have deserved to win, it was pretty sweet to see the author Chuck Lorre– A stranger to show, but a little less familiar with critical recognition, become emotional. "This doesn't happen to me," he said. "No one is cryin" for me [and his millions], but this is spectacular. "
And if you don't go with a veteran star like Douglas, you won't get lines like, "I guess this must go to my 102-year-old father, the Kirk-alter cooker rule!"
Meanwhile, usually preferring to brand new shows (see all above), Glober managed to lose time and called The Americans best tv drama after its last season. A big then for that choice.
6th Queen King: Regina Kings deserved moments seem to have entered their kinematic period, with the three-hour Emmy winner's victory for best supporting actress in a movie for If Beale Street could speak Furthermore, the SAG Awards make a headshot snub and at the same time help their Oscar chances.
"This is so amazing," she wondered on stage, continuing to pledge to use the platform to employ at least 50 percent female employees on every project she produces over the next two years. "Time is up twice," King said. "… We understand that our microphones are big and we're talking to everyone."
"Regina, we are available," Megan Mullally, come on after presenting with Kristen Bell, so.
7. Close for comfort: There has been a lot of talk this year about whether Glenn Closeis going to get it finally – it's her turn Oscar for Konenbut no one looked more surprised than the 14-time Golden Globe nominee to hear his name called last night. It was her third Globe win, but first for a movie.
"It did Konen-I think that's why it took 14 years to get done, "she said. But by taking the relay from King's speech earlier that night, Close also made a point of emphasizing the importance of giving women the woman to go for what they want .
She hailed her mother, who in her 80s told me: & # 39; I feel I haven't accomplished anything, & # 39; & # 39; Closed recalled. "And that wasn't right. And I feel what I've learned throughout this experience, you know, women, we are business people, that's what is expected of us … But we have to find personal fulfillment. We must follow our We must say, "I can do that, and I should be allowed to do it."
For a round of all 2019 Golden Globes, see E! News Monday at 7am!